A Matter of Principle is the fourth episode of the fifth season in this television sitcom on Family Matters, which was aired from ABC on October 15, 1993. It was directed by Richard Correll and written by Jim Geoghan.
In the series 100th episode, Harriette's job at the Chicago Chronicle as manager of security has taken a back seat to Urkel's antics in the series' four years but it takes center stage here. The newspaper is experiencing budget cuts, and Harriette's boss, Mr. Berger, asks her to cut her workforce. Harriette doesn't want to fire anyone and Carl gives her some advice on how to tell Mr. Berger this. The end result has Harriette losing her job. Meanwhile, Myra transfers to Urkel's school, all to snare herself a certain nerd. She eventually asks Eddie and Laura for advice in winning Urkel's heart, resulting in a wild comedy of errors.
- Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow
- Jo Marie Payton as Harriette Winslow (credited as Jo Marie Payton-Noble)
- Rosetta LeNoire as Estelle Winslow (credit only)
- Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow
- Kellie Shanygne Williams as Laura Winslow
- Bryton James as Richie Crawford (credited as Bryton McClure, credit only)
- Jaleel White as Steve Urkel
- Shawn Harrison as Waldo Geraldo Faldo
- Michael Kaufman as Mr. Berger
- William Joseph Barker as Boy in Classroom
- Myra decide to call a truce with Laura and becomes friends again. But she still doesn't trust Laura near Steve.
- This marks the 2nd time Urkel maintains his love for Laura and tells Myra that he's just not interested in her. This is because he finds her too possessive, obsessed, obnoxious, annoying, jealous, insecure and impatient
- Urkel loses his glasses when he tries to get in the hammock. They later reappear on his face without him having time to retrieve them.
- When Myra helps Urkel up and the two of them get in the hammock, the grass ripples under their feet, indicating it is solid pieces of fake grass.
- Eddie tells Myra that he’s Urkel’s only friend, but he’s also friends with the rest of his family and his other friends Waldo and Weasel.