Boom! is the first episode of the third season in this television sitcom on Family Matters, which was aired from ABC on September 20, 1991. It was directed by Richard Correll and written by David W. Duclon.
Urkel makes friends with an orangutan, who is doomed to a life of scientific experiments. Meanwhile, Carl and Lt. Murtaugh try to defuse a bomb hidden in a treadmill, booby-trapped by a revenge-seeker named Nitro Newton (a.k.a. "The Boston Bomber").
I loved to see some mentioning of animal abuse on the show! Steve rescuing the orangutan from the laboratory (and also the hamsters of course) was a great story line. Of course it was done very simply and I wish that he would said that he sends him to sanctuary (but hey, those were 90's and zoo is better than lab anyways, or it is one of the actually good zoos!). Still an incredibly cute episode, loved that orangutan.
Carl's bomb episode was also hilarious. Lieutenant making fun of Carl being overweight was pretty funny (it wasn't in a very mean way) and the scene of them in the fitness room switching places on the machine was great.
- Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow
- Jo Marie Payton as Harriette Winslow
- Rosetta LeNoire as Estelle Winslow
- Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow
- Kellie Shanygne Williams as Laura Winslow
- Jaimee Foxworth as Judy Winslow
- Bryton James as Richie Crawford (credited as Bryton McClure)
- Jaleel White as Steve Urkel
- Telma Hopkins as Rachel Crawford
- Julie Uribe as Jaworski
- Lowell as Himself
- Beginning with this episode, the show moved from Fridays to Tuesdays for the rest of its run (Full House, which used to follow, moved up to the 8/7C time slot on Fridays to make room for the new Step by Step—from the same producers of Full House, Family Matters, Perfect Strangers, and the short-lived Going Places); in addition, it replaced ABC's Tuesday mainstay "Who's the Boss?", which was moved to Saturday nights until its cancellation at the end of the season
- [Urkel is giving Judy and Richie $5 as part of their deal]
- Urkel: There, here's your hush money. Now, I expect you to keep quiet about the ape in Laura's room.
- Laura: Red alert! Red alert Lowell's gone, he's loose around the house.