Brain Over Brawn is the second episode of the third season in this television sitcom on Family Matters, which was aired from ABC on September 27, 1991. It was directed by Richard Correll and written by Fred Fox Jr.
It's a battle of brains vs. brawn, as Urkel and a braggart classmate vie for the affections of Laura in a rope-climbing contest. Meanwhile, Carl and Eddie try to fix a leak in their roof against Harriette's admonition to call a qualified profession to fix the leak in their roof properly.
- Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow
- Jo Marie Payton as Harriette Winslow
- Rosetta LeNoire as Estelle Winslow
- Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow
- Kellie Shanygne Williams as Laura Winslow
- Jaimee Foxworth as Judy Winslow
- Bryton James as Richie Crawford (credited as Bryton McClure)
- Jaleel White as Steve Urkel
- Telma Hopkins as Rachel Crawford
- David Hayward as Coach Redding
- David Baur as Alex Phillips
- In the original ABC broadcast, the ending gag is crossed over with Step by Step; Urkel's jet-propelled flight pack causes him to fly through the Winslows' roof and crash-land in Port Washington, Wisconsin, where the Foster/Lambert family is enjoying a barbecue. An alternate ending is included in syndicated, ABC Family and Nick at Nite reruns, featuring Steve's out-of-control jet pack flinging him above the Chicago skyline.
- This is the 2nd time that Eddie has caused damages to the Winslow home. This time, he walked over the roof and crashed through it. Eddie lands on the sofa inside the living room. The first time was in Season 2's The Crash Course when he drove Carl's beloved station wagon through the house. This will be repeated for the final time in Season 5' Aunt Oona
- Waldo: Thanks for helping me find the gym.
- Urkel: Don't feel bad. It's Monday! You had two whole days to forget where it was.
- Urkel: You know what, Laura? I realize the reason you don't love me is because I'm weak.
- Laura: Steve, that's not true.
- Urkel: It isn't?
- Laura: No! There's lots of reasons why I don't love you.
- Urkel: Really? Well, name a couple.
- Laura: Well... you're stubborn, irritating, loud, obnoxious, pushy, clumsy...
- Urkel: I said 'a couple'.
- Harriette: Yes, you did, Carl, and all it cost you is an arm and a leg