When Steve has to have an emergency appendectomy, Carl thinks he's in store for three Urkel-free days until he is shot in the butt while trying to foil a robbery and winds up sharing the same hospital room as Urkel. Urkel may prove to be a helping hand when one of the robbers wants revenge on Carl for having one of his buddies captured.
During yet another unannounced visit to the Winslows, Urkel is his usual self, propositioning Laura and getting turned down. Upon the rejection, Urkel holds his abdomen and complains of pain. As he's leaving, he passes out. The Winslows think it's another sympathy ploy but Carl can't revive him and asks Harriette to call an ambulance. It turns out Steve's fine but his appendix has ruptured and needs to rest. Unfortunately, his own parents don't even bother to visit him because of the whole thing and decide to go on vacation. After a very hilarious scene where Urkel unwittingly kisses Carl (thinking him to be Laura), the Winslows visit their neighbor in the hospital. Soon, he takes Laura aside and notes they'll be Urkel-free for three days (while he recovers from his surgery).
Carl's jubilation is short-lived, as the nurse announces to Urkel that he has a roommate. Hours later, he's brought into the hospital, having just had emergency surgery on his buttocks. He surprised two burglars robbing a jewelry store. One of them got away, but Carl tackled the other & held him down (after getting shot in the rear end) until help arrived. The other burglar wants revenge but that isn't bothering Carl so much as now he's roommates with Urkel and no other rooms are available. As usual, Steve causes him no end of grief, showing off his appendix and playing his concertina. Upset over the lousy food and more importantly, that he can't get his needed rest, a cranky Carl finally tells Urkel to take his concertina and sing his tune elsewhere. Steve is insulted and tells him off by mentioning he hardly appreciates all the kind things he's doing for Carl. Urkel mentions that he went out of his way to entertain Carl and make his stay in the hospital more enjoyable and this is how he is thanked: by being yelled at for no reason because he can't get any rest. Steve mentions if this is how he will treat him, then Carl can find someone else who will share his misery. Urkel leaves to cool off in the restroom with his appendix, when an orderly enters.
Of course, the orderly turns out to be the other robbery suspect. He's the one who wounded Carl in the first place and now he's there to finish the job. The suspect reveals if he's dead then his brother, Ralphie, walks. His plans to shoot Carl immediately go up in smoke as Steve emerges just in time to knock would-be cop-killer out with a bedpan. He apprehends the suspect by using the remote control to trap the gunman in the hospital bed as a makeshift body cuff. Carl thanks Urkel for rescuing him from the gunman.
After a visit with the overjoyed Winslows, Carl has some alone time with Urkel and apologizes for his earlier behavior. Steve is suspicious and wants an explanation. Carl admitted he was angry over how the prospects of being Urkel's roommate and everything else in between. While alone with the robbery suspect holding him at gunpoint, Carl finally realized how much Steve selflessly went out of his way to entertain him and make his hospital stay enjoyable. Urkel forgives Carl after hearing him explain himself.
- Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow
- Jo Marie Payton as Harriette Winslow
- Rosetta LeNoire as Estelle Winslow (credit only)
- Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow
- Kellie Shanygne Williams as Laura Winslow
- Jaimee Foxworth as Judy Winslow
- Bryton James as Richie Crawford (credited as Bryton McClure)
- Jaleel White as Steve Urkel
- Telma Hopkins as Rachel Crawford
- Shawn Harrison as Waldo Geraldo Faldo (credit only)
- Juan Pope as Orderly (as J. Lamont Pope)
- Christopher Darga as Jenkins
- Annie Gagen as Charlene
- Michael Griswold as Dr. Skiles
- Steve is wearing his socks pulled up when he gets out of the bathroom. Then, his socks are scrunched down before hitting the criminal and pulled up again just after hitting him. After that, when he is trapped in the bed, Steve's socks are scrunched down once more.
- This episode marks the final appearance and acknowledgement of Barry Jenner as Lt. Murtaugh.
- Urkel kisses Carl on the lips in this episode.
- J. Lamont Pope, who played Chain in Season Three's "Born to Be Mild", returns the series to play a hospital orderly.
- Carl: No, I didn't. I surprised a couple of slime balls trying to break in to a jewelry store.
- Steve: Did they get away?
- Carl: One of them did, but I threw a tackle on the other guy and held him with my one good cheek before help arrived.