Out with The Old is the first episode of the ninth season in this television sitcom on Family Matters, whcih was aired from CBS on September 19, 1997. It was directed by Joel Zwick and written both by David W. Duclon and Gary Menteer.
Urkel decides that he needs to give himself a whole new look, somewhat similar to alter ego Stefan Urquelle, in order to win Laura's heart. The makeover comes just in time for Laura's charity auction, where bachelors' kisses are auctioned. Eddie makes $5,000 because of Myrtle's bids. When nobody bids on the nerd despite his alleged improvements on himself, Laura, reluctantly, makes the one and only bid on Steve's kisses. This ending foreshadows the changing relationship between Steve and Laura as Laura seems to enjoy the kiss much more than she expected. Meanwhile, Carl gets upset when he learns Harriette is making more money than him after a promotion, so Carl takes a second job to become the breadwinner again. However, he once again regrets it when he learns that Harriette had been planning a birthday gift surprise.
Steve is finally fed up with Myra's refusal to let him change the way he looks. In her eyes, she sees him a perfect 10, the way he is. However, he doesn't see it the same way as her. He feels as long as he dated her, he'll still remain a geek with the hitched up pants and squeaky voice. He makes the executive decision to goes through with the makeover despite her pleading. He even takes speaking lessons from his doctor and the deep voice Sheila. On the night of the kissing contest held by the sorority, Laura wages high for Stefan, but loses the bet to one of her sorority sisters. Greta is the next to bet for Eddie, but she loses to her rival, Myrtle. Finally, Steve shows up in his new look, a green buttoned down shirt, with black slacks reaching to his ankles, new black shoes, no suspenders and oval silver rimmed glasses. He spoke with his new deep voice. When no girls bet for Steve, Laura bids for him out of pity. Both are surprised when Laura goes in for a second kiss. Meanwhile, Carl is jealous of Harriette's high promotion that he ends up a second job being a moonlight parker.
Cast and Characters
- Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow
- Jo Marie Payton-Noble as Harriette Winslow
- Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow
- Kellie Shanygne Williams as Laura Winslow
- Jaleel White as Steve Urkel / Stefan Urquelle / Myrtle Urkel
- Mercedes Colon as Girl #1
- Lizette Carrion as High Bidder
- Damara Reilly as Sheila
- Laura Meshell as Girl #2
- Peter Van Norden as Roy
- Javier Ronceros as Pepe Perez
- Alli Spotts as Irene
- Richard Fox as Dr. Grabowski
- Final time we see Steve in suspenders, as he decides to try and change his appearance from this point on in the season, which was to Myra’s dismay And Laura’s approval
- Ever since Season one it’s always been hinted that Laura had always had feelings for Steve she just never wanted to admit it Laura finally released her true feelings for Steve in this season.
- Originally, Steve would realize that his true love is Myra, because she had always loved him as himself and relinquishes his love for Laura. Watching them kiss backstage, Myrtle realizes how much he's grown up from his infatuation for Laura and found someone who truly loves him for himself. In that moment, she feels ashamed of herself over the time she's wasted in trying to win Eddie's love and get him to dump Greta. Myrtle accepts that she has a lot of growing up to do and relinquishes her love for him. But CBS, as well as a lot of Family Matters fans, ultimately were against Myra and Steve being together. So plans were changed for Laura and Steve to finally get together instead. Plus, it would of not made any sense for the writers to make Myra and Steve be together since Steve never loved Myra. He was always in love with Laura since they were small children.
- Jaleel White improvised the “Wow!” after the kiss with Laura, deepening his voice to the point where it is lower than his natural speaking voice. It was supposed to simply be a shocked expression but Jaleel threw in the line just before Joel Zwick could call cut.
- Back in Season 5, Steve said to Myra in the Hell Toupee episode that if Laura was to return her love for him that he would leave Her for Laura. Since Laura did return her love for Steve in this season, Steve mostly likely was going to leave Myra for Laura because he was always in love with Laura and never was in love with Myra at all. Steve wanted to mature in this season so he could be with Laura.
Had Season 10 happened, his maturity would be complete when Stefan's cool essence merges back into Steve.