Scenes from a Mall is the twelfth episode of the fifth season of Family Matters, which aired on ABC on December 17, 1993. It was directed by Gary Menteer and written both by David W. Duclon and Gary Menteer.
Myra demands commitment from Urkel or else. When he refuses and asks her to give him his space, she ends up leaving in a crying fit. Steve must now turn to Laura for help. Waldo constantly worries that other boys have their eyes on Maxine, causing him to go into a jealous fit. Also, while Harriette is at a job interview, Carl gets burdened with having to watch Little Richie and his friend, Lil' G (Gary LeRoi Gray).
|The text below is in severe need of a rewrite|
|This section requires expansion|
At the mall, Myra demands commitment from Urkel while Waldo constantly worries that other boys have their eyes on Maxine, causing him to go into a jealous fit. When Maxine threatens to dump Waldo for humiliating her, he realizes how overzealous he has been and apologizes for his behavior. Meanwhile, Eddie and Weasel have a crush on a woman at the mall. While Harriette is at a job interview, Carl gets burdened with having to watch Little Richie and his friend, Lil' G.
During the closing credits, a blooper from the episode is shown; when Lil' G admits to Richie that Carl looks like the uncle from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, James Avery walks in, surprising Reginald VelJohnson.
- Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow
- Jo Marie Payton as Harriette Winslow (credited as Jo Marie Payton-Noble)
- Rosetta LeNoire as Estelle Winslow (credit only)
- Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow
- Kellie Shanygne Williams as Laura Winslow
- Bryton James as Richie Crawford (credited as Bryton McClure)
- Jaleel White as Steve Urkel
- Shawn Harrison as Waldo Geraldo Faldo
- Cherie Johnson as Maxine Johnson
- Michelle Thomas as Myra Monkhouse
- Shavar Ross as Alex "Weasel" Park
- Gary LeRoi Gray as Lil' G (credited as G. LeRoi Gray)
- Garcelle Beauvais as Garcelle
- Gene Arrington as Man at the Mall #1
- J. August Richards as Man at the Mall #2
- Ellen Albertini Dow as Elderly Lady
- James Avery as Himself (end-credits blooper; uncredited)
- Lil' G mentions that Richie informed him that his uncle Carl Winslow looked like "the uncle" from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. This confirms that the Fresh Prince sitcom exists in the universe Family Matters is set in.
- Interestingly enough, the Family Matters sitcom also exists in the Fresh Prince universe. Steve Urkel is mentioned as a fictional character in the Fresh Prince episode "Ill Will" and Family Matters is mentioned by name in the episode "Will Gets Committed".
- While filming a take of the scene when Lil' G mentions Philip Banks, James Avery walked on set, surprising Reginald VelJohnson. This blooper take was shown during this episode's end credits.
- Jaleel White later made an appearance in the Fresh Prince episode "Not With My Cousin You Don't", albeit not as Urkel.
- This episode marks Garcelle Beauvais' second appearance in the series. In this episode, she portrays the woman at the mall whom Eddie is attracted to. She previously appeared in Season Three's "Old and Alone" as Lulu, a woman who married Urkel in a dream Laura had. She returned in Season Six's "To Be or Not to Be (Part 2)", portraying a younger Estelle Winslow in a dream Estelle had. She made her final appearance in Season Seven's "A Ham is Born" as Nicole Moses.
- Eddie states that he's in high school, despite the fact that he should have graduated at the end of Season Four and no mention is made of him having failed.
- Carl: Little Richie, what have I told you about water guns?
- Richie: Not to use them in the house and only spray Eddie.