Sink or Swim is the eighth episode of the sixth season in this television sitcom on Family Matters, which was aired from ABC on November 11, 1994. It was directed by Richard Correll and written by Fred Fox Jr.
Urkel's straight-A record, as well as his high school graduation, are at risk since he can't pass physical education. To pass physical education, he must pass a simple swimming test. To pass the simple swimming test, he must get over his fear of water. To get over his fear of water, he enlists Carl for help. However, Laura ends up being the real source of helping Steve get over his waterphobia, when she plays a damsel in distress. Meanwhile, Richie manages to join a roller skating hockey team and in order to get equipment, Rachel must return an elegant dress. However, when she goes to return it, there seems to be a torn hole on it. Richie eventually confesses to the crime to stop Harriette and Rachel from fighting.
- Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow
- Jo Marie Payton as Harriette Winslow (credited as Jo Marie Payton-Noble)
- Rosetta LeNoire as Estelle Winslow
- Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow
- Kellie Shanygne Williams as Laura Winslow
- Bryton James as Richie Crawford (credited as Bryton McClure)
- Jaleel White as Steve Urkel
- Shawn Harrison as Waldo Geraldo Faldo
- Eddie Mekka as Mr. Nutting
- Marcia Jeffries as Herself
- Billy Boulton as Ricky
- In this episode it is revealed that Steve had a fear of water. Jaleel WhIte, who played Steve Urkel, also voiced Sonic the Hedgehog, who has a totally different personality (more closely mirroring Stefan Urquelle) but apparently Steve and Sonic have at least one thing in common. They both have a crippling fear of water and, thus, an inability to swim. In the Sonic Underground episode The Deepest Fear, Sonic too must overcome his own aquaphobia in the face of an emergency.
- Sonic also on occasion likes cheese on chili dogs and Steve worked at Mighty Weenie, a hot dog restaurant, for some years. Their names also begin with the letter S too. Sonic's Uncle Chuck also shares a similarity with Steve; like Steve, he is an inventor. In addition, they're both skilled musicians—Sonic plays the electric guitar and is a singer, while Steve plays the accordion and sings as well.
- Like the early version of Stefan, though, depending on the version of Sonic from the cartoons, Sonic can also be very vain, staring at himself in mirrors, complimenting himself, and smoothing his quills back like hair. However, while his vanity can irritate some (such as Sally and Sonia), he's also a good-natured person with a big heart and a strong sense of justice.
- In the episode Hot Rods to Heck, Steve tinkers with his BMW Isetta so it can go at fast speeds.
- Eddie Mekka, the actor who plays Steve’s P.E. teacher Mr. Nutting, also played Carl’s rival Charlie Cornelli in Flashpants.