The Big Fix is the seventeenth episode of the first season from the television sitcom on Family Matters, which was aired from ABC on February 9, 1990. It was directed by Richard Correll and written both by Pamela Eells and Sally Lapiduss.
Urkel agrees to tutor Eddie, who is failing his algebra class, under one condition that he set him up on a date with Laura. He holds Eddie's Prince concert tickets as collateral to ensure his wish will come true. His date with Laura is, well, a perfect disaster. Carl makes a horrible attempt to fix a wobbly chair, despite Harriette's admonition for him to be sensible and buy a replacement chair.
- Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow
- Jo Marie Payton as Harriette Winslow (credited as Jo Marie Payton-France)
- Rosetta LeNoire as Estelle Winslow
- Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow
- Kellie Shanygne Williams as Laura Winslow
- Jaimee Foxworth as Judy Winslow
- Joseph and Julius Wright as Richie Crawford
- Telma Hopkins as Rachel Crawford
- Gino Conforti as Maitre d'
- When Eddie tells Laura that she has to go on a date with Steve, she responds that he should have promised him something he could deliver like a "ride on a space shuttle." Eight years later, Steve would indeed get a ride on a space shuttle in the series finale.
- Eddie: What's that?
- Urkel: 'Standardized Urkel Elementary Math Exam'. It helps to determine how much help you need. Okay, first question. What do you get when you multiply a negative by a negative?
- Eddie: A really big negative?
- Urkel: Uh-oh. Second question. Three times X equals six. What is the value of X?
- Eddie: [chuckling] I know this one! It's either a number or a letter! Ha ha!
- Urkel: Whoa. This has never happened before.
- Eddie: I did good, huh?
- Urkel: You didn't even make it onto the chart!