The Science Project is the tenth episode of the second season in this television sitcom on Family Matters, which was aired from ABC on November 16, 1990. It was directed by Gary Menteer and written both by Pamela Eells and Sally Lapiduss.
Laura has a dream that Steve has created an atomic bomb for a science project, and when it is about to detonate, nobody will listen to her. Unfortunately, the bomb is equipped with a fail-safe device: once the program is activated it can't be stopped.
- Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow
- Jo Marie Payton as Harriette Winslow (credited as Jo Marie Payton-France)
- Rosetta LeNoire as Estelle Winslow
- Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow
- Kellie Shanygne Williams as Laura Winslow
- Jaimee Foxworth as Judy Winslow
- Bryton James as Richie Crawford (credited as Bryton McClure)
- Jaleel White as Steve Urkel
- Telma Hopkins as Rachel Crawford
- Crystal Jenious as Girl Student
- Aaron Lohr as Greg
- Joe Mays as Mr. Nagy
- Sky Berdahl as Student
- The first episode in which Urkel's basement is seen, albeit only in a dream sequence. It would later become one of the main sets on the show.
- The original scene where the atom bomb detonates and blows up chicago is censored in future airings and on the DVD set. This was likely due to the scenes of what the impact looked like being too gruesome.
- Aaron Lohr is the guest appearance in two episodes, who is the husband of Frozen star Idina Menzel.
- Both times Rachel strums the harp, the sound is delayed. It doesn't come until she is not still touching it.
- Carl: What's wrong, honey?
- Laura: Science class. I'm in big trouble! I may get a B.
- Carl: I got a B once. I framed it.
- Laura: Dad, this is serious. I can't afford a B on my permanent record. From now on, no parties and no TV. In fact, I'm grounded.
- Harriette: Laura!
- Laura: Don't argue. Someday, I'll thank myself for this.
- [Steve accidentally set off his A-bomb]
- Urkel: Don't panic, my love! If I remember correctly, the safest place to be during a nuclear explosion is in a reinforced basement.
- Laura: Not when the bomb is in the basement with you!
- Urkel: Good point... PANIC!