Wedding Bell Blues is the sixteenth episode of the sixth season in this television sitcom on Family Matters, which was aired from ABC on February 17, 1995. It was directed by Richard Correll and written by Sheila M. Anthony.
Mr. Alfred Looney is engaged to be married but on his wedding day, his bride leaves him at the altar. Humiliated, Mr. Looney contemplates suicide, leaving Urkel and Carl to talk him out of it. Meanwhile, Laura gets upset when her parents will not let her go with her friends to see Seal in Toledo for one night, despite letting Eddie go to Canada for four days with people they do not know. Soon they see the error of their ways and allow her to go to the concert provided that she keeps a cell phone with her.
Mr. Looney is engaged to be married to the woman he loves and invites the Winslows over to attend the wedding. They agree to go to his wedding that day.
Meanwhile, Laura gets upset when her parents will not let her go with her friends to see Seal in Toledo for one night, despite letting Eddie go to Canada for four days with people they do not know. They reveal that besides the fact Eddie is older, they are treating her differently due to her gender, fearing a mentally challenged person will attack or take advantage of her. Their sexist thoughts only further angers Laura.
At the wedding, Mr. Looney is left by his bride, Rebecca, by her sleazy ex-lover who works as an organ player and whom convinces her to give their relationship a 2nd chance. This ends up leading Mr. Looney to contemplate suicide. Carl and Steve risk their own lives helping but Mr. Looney is finally talked down by Carl's co-worker, Beth, who works in the Chicago PD. She is a former friend of Mr. Looney and the two go out for coffee.
Feeling guilty, Harriette allows Laura to go to the concert with her friends, provided that she keeps a cell phone on her. During the end credits, Laura calls home to let Harriette know she is fine, which even her friends talk to her to ease her mind.
- Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow
- Jo Marie Payton as Harriette Winslow (credited as Jo Marie Payton-Noble)
- Rosetta LeNoire as Estelle Winslow (credit only)
- Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow
- Kellie Shanygne Williams as Laura Winslow
- Bryton James as Richie Crawford (credited as Bryton McClure, credit only)
- Jaleel White as Steve Urkel
- Shawn Harrison as Waldo Geraldo Faldo
- Michelle Thomas as Myra Monkhouse
- Channing Chase as Beth
- Sondra Currie as Sharon
- Lewis Dauber as Minister Barnes
- Susan Dawkins as Rebecca
- This episode shares its title with an episode of Sonic Underground, a cartoon that Jaleel White starred in after Family Matters ended.
- In this episode, Harriette says Laura is sixteen years old, but in the episode Old and Alone, three seasons ago, Laura turned fifteen.
- Mr. Looney's friend is a fellow officer of Carl's whom helps overcome his heartbreak.
- Mother Winslow originally had a bigger role and which she calls Harriette and Carl out for their behavior (likely with the two bickering and her screaming for them to be silenced like usual). It was her words that convinced Harriette to allow Laura to go see Seal in Toledo as long as she keeps a phone on her. This was changed later on.